The Food Education Fellowship
As part of the Pilot Light mission to support teachers to create food-based classroom lessons that support students with the knowledge, attitudes, and skills they need to have healthy relationships with food, Pilot Light has developed a cohesive model for classroom food education, incorporating food as a lens for traditional subjects, like math, reading, history, and science. Pilot Light seeks highly-motivated K–12-grade teachers across the country with an interest in implementing Pilot Light food education lessons consistently in their classroom. Fellows will be supported with Pilot Light resources while helping to refine and evaluate food education in classrooms.
Interested in applying for the Food Education Fellowship? Applications are now closed and will reopen for the 2021-2022 school year in spring 2021. In the meantime, join our mailing list and you’ll be among the first to know!
FOOD EDUCATION FELLOWSHIP 2020-21 APPLICATION:
** Please note: The format of Fellowship meetings and requirements for the 2020–21 school year may change as schools and communities adjust based on the impact of COVID-19 over the coming months. Those changes will be communicated through this site and to current applicants via email, if they arise.
- At least 2 years of teaching experience
- Will be teaching in the United States in the 2020-21 school year
- Interest in using food as a tool to teach in your classroom
- Interest in professional development related to Food Education
- Ability to connect virtually for monthly professional development
- At least 2 years of experience writing lesson plans
- Commitment to engaging in school community and with community partners and parents
- Commitment to meeting requirements outlined for Fellows
- Administrator approval (download the Recommender Form – required)
- Attendance at all professional development meetings (See Key Dates below)
- Delivering Pilot Light food education lessons weekly in classrooms
- Creating 10 Pilot Light food education lessons throughout the year
- Commitment to evaluating the effects of food education in your classroom
- Commitment to advocacy projects, parent involvement, and establishing community partners
- Commitment to being a Pilot Light advocate within your school and community
ADDITIONAL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Sample Lesson
- Two professional references
- Completion of Pilot Light Food Education Leadership Fellowship Application (If you are interested in reviewing the short answer questions ahead of time, please click here.)
United States (Your school should be located within any state in the U.S.A)
August 2020 – June 2021
Our application is now closed until next Spring 2021.
- Summer Institute: August 10 & 11 (two full weekdays)
- Monthly Professional Development (evenings):
- September 16
- October 21
- November 6
- December 9
- January 20
- February 17
- March 10
- April 14
- May 12
- June 9
- $2,500 stipend
- $500 in classroom materials
- Monthly professional development
- One-on-one coaching and support
Have questions or need additional information? Please contact Katie Colvin, Director of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pilot Light embraces a philosophy that recognizes, values, and actively seeks diversity among its team. We seek to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, national origin, status as an individual with disability, age, ancestry, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.