Role: Fellowship Alumni Network (FAN) Manager
Job Summary: The Fellowship Alumni Network (FAN) Manager is a new, full-time role that will lead efforts to mobilize the growing Fellowship Alumni Network for the benefit of Pilot Light’s long-term growth and success. The Food Education Fellowship has invested in over 70 educators over the past four years, with new Fellows welcomed each year. The FAN Manager will oversee and build community with these members as they continue to implement Food Education lessons and the Food Education Standards in their classrooms beyond their year in the Fellowship, as well as work alongside the Pilot Light team to creatively and strategically utilize the expertise of the FAN to support Pilot Light’s growth.
Location: Chicagoland preferred; currently remote and likely transitioning to a hybrid work environment in late 2023. Must be an Illinois resident and authorized to work in the U.S.
Position Type: This is a full-time, exempt position.
Start Date: Position currently available.
How to apply: Interested applicants should complete the survey found at the link below. Please note that you will be required to submit your resume through the form: https://pilotlight.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_baaesa38laLyfK6
Duties of the Position: The Fellowship Alumni Network (FAN) Manager will oversee the 70+ members of the FAN, coordinating with PreK-12 educators across the country and supporting them as they continue to implement Food Education lessons & standards post-participation in the Food Education Fellowship, including by not limited to the following:
(50%) FAN Management
- Lead monthly FAN office hours by selecting topics, leading program planning, speaker selection, and evaluation (with the assistance of the Evaluation Manager)
- Strive to maintain a 75% active alumni network through regular communication, office hours regarding topics, and grade-band specific value-add areas including but not limited to blog posts, program consultation, pilot program stewardship or leadership, and mentoring
- Maintain up-to-date contacts and communication with FAN members regarding opportunities for speaking, stewardship, marketing/writing, and consultation
- Survey FAN members regarding pilot programs and/or tools (i.e., evaluation tools, curricula writing, and program planning documents)
- Creation and management of a new online community for teachers tied to the Food Education Center (FEC), including the movement of current FEF resources and docs to a central FAN learning portal (in collaboration with the Program Evaluation Associate and Curriculum Manager)
- Attend and participate in relevant conferences and panels on Pilot Light’s behalf and steward similar appearances for FAN members as needed
- Conduct long-term strategic planning with Food Education Fellowship Director to leverage the FAN to determine additional capacity needs for Pilot Light
- Identify innovative opportunities to connect FAN members via collaboration with the Pilot Light development team
(50%) Food Education Fellowship (FEF) Support
- Support in monthly FEF professional development (PD) planning and execution
- Host professional development around the Food Education Standards
- Support the FEF application and recruitment process by incentivizing and activating FAN members and participating in the interview and selection process
- Develop a process of understanding and communicating the Food Education Fellowship’s impact, including a tracking process for community and partner-level engagement
- Co-create and develop additional resources and capacity-building tools to help teachers conduct Food Education beyond their first FEF year
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee for this job.
Reporting: The Fellowship Alumni Network Manager will report directly to the Food Education Fellowship Director.
Qualifications And Experience:
- Minimum 1-year experience teaching integrated Food Education
- 5+ years of teaching experience
- Extensive experience building community (either with PTO/LSC or within work experience)
- Experience working with multiple communities to bridge ideas – parents, admin, students, and teachers
- Familiarity with Google Suite and Zoom with a willingness and comfort learning and using new digital survey tools and platforms (familiarity with Qualtrics a plus)
- Passion for Pilot Light’s core values, vision, and mission
- Peer-to-peer coaching experience – preferred but not required
- Grant writing experience – preferred but not required
Skills and Knowledge:
- Organization, project management, and ability to prioritize tasks and manage concurrent assignments under tight deadlines
- Comfortable with supporting the integration of the Food Education Standards into multiple educational content areas
- Excellent verbal, writing, and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with partners and co-workers in a friendly and professional manner.
- Innovative and creative approach to community & partnership building
- Accountable and committed to personal growth and development regarding diversity, equity, inclusion, and access values
- Familiarity and dedication to a learner-centered framework of education
- Simultaneously a team player & self-starter with exceptional organization and time management skills
- Maintains a high level of enthusiasm, energy, initiative, and drive
- Working knowledge of best practices in pedagogy and commitment to understanding the current educational landscape
- Understanding of instructional design & authentic assessment
- Familiarity with inquiry-based learning preferred
Travel may be required occasionally, as well as attending weekend and evening functions as needed.
Salary Range: $50-60K, dependent on experience
- Flexible work schedule
- Group medical (HMO + PPO) with 75% coverage for employees and dependents
- Group dental for employees and dependents
- Vision for employee
- Access to simple IRA
- Generous paid time off, sick leave, and holiday pay
- Paid parental leave
- One all-staff paid wellness week where the office is closed
Apply now, including your resume!
Equal Opportunity Employer
Pilot Light embraces a philosophy that recognizes, values, and actively seeks diversity among its team. We seek to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, age, ancestry, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
About Pilot Light
Pilot Light is a Chicago-founded 501(c)(3) Food Education nonprofit organization that partners with educators to support them in teaching their students through food and about food. Students develop knowledge and skills to advocate for informed food choices for themselves, their families, and their communities.
Pilot Light’s teacher-led model is game-changing: through our approach, PreK–12 teachers are provided with the support and resources needed to integrate Food Education into their classrooms and engage students during implementation while also teaching them about food and its importance in their lives outside of school.
Over the past 10 years, Pilot Light has grown from one Chicago elementary school to reach over 20,000 students across the country. During the pandemic, the organization scaled its offerings nationwide through virtual content and the introduction of several new programs and partnerships.
Pilot Light leads in Food Education through programming and professional development rooted in our Food Education Standards. We serve districts, schools, teachers, and learners through our Food Education Center, the annual Food Education Fellowship, Fellowship Alumni Network, and a variety of rapidly growing school and district partnerships. We are currently seeking several individuals who will join Pilot Light during this exciting time in our growth.