Pilot Light’s Food Education Standards encompass what we believe to be the benchmarks of the food knowledge, skills and attitudes children need to have healthy relationships with food. Developed to maximize the educational benefit within the classroom, the Food Education Standards complement child food and nutrition behaviors already occurring in homes and communities.
1. Food connects us to each other.
2. Foods have sources and origins.
3. Food and the environment are interconnected.
4. Food behaviors are influenced by external and internal factors.
5. Food impacts health.
6. We can make positive and informed food choices.
7. We can advocate for food choices and changes that impact ourselves, our communities, and our world.