Pilot Light Job Description
Role: Chef Educator
About Pilot Light
Pilot Light is a Chicago-based nonprofit founded in 2010 by Chefs Paul Kahan, Matthias, Merges, Jason Hammel, and Justin Large that is dedicated to teaching children how to make healthier choices for themselves, their families and their communities by connecting the lessons they learn in their classrooms to the foods they eat on their lunch trays. To accomplish this mission, Pilot Light partners chefs and teachers to make learning about food in schools a priority for children through food-based classroom curriculum in everyday subjects like math and science, or advocacy projects, where teachers and students work together to create change within their communities through the use of food. These experiences feed young minds by igniting children’s curiosity for the food on their plates and demonstrating its connection to every aspect of what they do and learn.
Why We Need You
As Pilot Light expands, we are looking for an individual with a background in the culinary arts and experience with project management to fulfill the role of Chef Educator. The Chef Educator will provide support with the implementation of food activities in K–12 classrooms and support food preparation for our Institute for Food Education, classroom and community-based educational activities. The Chef Educator will also support the organization across a variety of operational activities and programmatic needs.
The Chef Educator will report to and work closely with the Culinary Director at our headquarters (1516 W Carroll Ave). This position requires a high level of flexibility, attention to detail, strategic and creative thinking, and exemplary organizational and communication skills. Candidates must also have a strong desire to work in an environment that require he/she participate in an array of projects and tasks.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Coordinate culinary aspects of teacher professional development sessions at Pilot Light’s Institute for Food Education
- Develop and execute food-based components and demonstrations in K–12 classrooms and at community-based educational events
- Prepare food for Pilot Light events, including Institute sessions and fundraising events, partnerships, classroom activities, and community events
- Assist with operational and programmatic needs of the organization, such as data collection, data entry, and scheduling classroom visits.
- Collaborate with the Culinary Director to streamline existing programmatic systems
- Conduct observations of Pilot Light classrooms
- Assist with general programmatic duties to support growth
- Demonstrated culinary background and knowledge
- Passion for Pilot Light’s mission
- Demonstrated ability to self motivate
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience organizing food production for events
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- Experience in education or working in schools is a plus
- Ability to organize and manage volunteer support
- Ability to be flexible with schedule, sometimes including weekend and evening hours, and possess a go-with-the-flow attitude
- Must be able to lift and carry at most 50 pounds
- Must have car and be willing to travel throughout Chicago
Contracted Position, up to 40 hours/week through June 15, 2019
Please submit the following via email to email@example.com with “Chef Educator” in the subject line:
- A brief statement of interest
Pilot Light prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race,
color, national origin (ancestry), age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status,
familial status, parental status, military status, religion, sexual orientation, gender and
gender expression, genetic information or because all or a part of an individual’s income is
derived from any public assistance program. These activities include, but are not limited, to
all matters related to the hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and
the provision of programs and activities.